Residency rights when accompanying a minor who is ill

A residence permit or “titre de séjour” can be issued to any person accompanying a sick child who needs medical care in France. This could be their mother, father or someone else with parental authority.

Verified by FNCIDFF on 06/10/2023


You must meet all of these conditions:

  • You must be living in France with the sick child.
  • You must be the parent of the sick child or have “authorité parentale” or parental authority, which means you exercise the rights and duties towards the child following a court decision.
  • You need to support the child’s needs.
  • The child you are supporting must:
    • be a minor, i.e. under 18 years of age
    • living in France with you
    • have an illness that will have consequences of exceptional severity if left untreated
    • must be receiving medical treatment in France
    • be unable to receive appropriate medical treatment in your country of origin.

Applicable law: Article L.425–10 of the “CESEDA”.

Type of “titre de séjour” or residence permit issued

You are entitled to a temporary residence permit or “autorisation provisoire de séjour”, for a maximum period of six months. It allows you to work.

This “autorisation” might be renewed throughout the duration of the child’s medical care. To do this, you will need to continue to meet the conditions for its issue.

Both parents can receive this residence permit.

Algerian citizens

The bilateral Franco-Algerian Agreement does not provide for the specific situation of Algerian persons accompanying a minor who is ill.

However, you might apply for residency rights for this reason on the basis of the provisions of Articles 6.5 (private and family life) and 6.7 (health).

Find support

In France, there are many services that can support you, give you advice, and assist you with procedures and paperwork. Most of them are free of charge.

  • La Cimade” is an organisation that specialises in supporting all immigrant and migrant people, and refugees in France, particularly people facing violence.

    • This service is free of charge.
    • They will be able to inform you and support you in your administrative procedures related to the right of residence in France, and direct you to other services depending on your personal situation.
    • Languages available: French, English and Spanish.
    • Contact :
      • without an appointment at a centre near you
      • by telephone on 01 40 08 05 34 or 06 77 82 79 09 on Wednesdays from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and from 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • Gisti” is an organisation specialising in legal advice to immigrants and refugees in France.

    • This service is free of charge.
    • They will be able to inform you about your rights relating to your residency rights and explain how to obtain them.
    • Language available: mainly French.
    • Contact:
      • By phone on +331 84 60 90 26 from Monday to Friday from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. and also from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Wednesday and Friday. The line is sometimes saturated, do not be discouraged. It is sometimes easier to reach them towards the end of the day.
      • By post to “Gisti, 3 villa Marcès 75011 Paris, France”. Print and complete this form and include in your letter with a photocopy of any administrative documents that could be relevant. Be sure to specify your question as clearly as possible, including all elements that could help the “Gisti” advisor to understand your situation.
  • Associations” are organisations that offer various services. Some are specialised in immigration.

    • These services are free of charge.
    • They can inform you about your rights in France, and sometimes support you with immigration procedures.
    • Language available: mainly French.
    • Contact: you can search by region and department in this directory.
  • Authorised associations or “associations habilitées” can offer highly specialised services to asylum seekers.

    • These services are free of charge.
    • They can inform you about your rights, advise you, support you in your administrative procedures and come with you to your meeting with the French Office for the Protection of Refugees and Stateless Persons or “Office français de la protection des réfugiés et des apatrides (OFPRA)”.
    • Language available: mainly French, interpretation possible.
    • Contact: you can find a “associations habilitées” near you in this directory.

While the utmost care has gone into providing you with the most accurate and up to date information, this page is not intended to replace legal or professional advice. Laws and procedures change regularly so it is important to consult qualified professionals.

You may also be interested

Verify my eligibility for French residency rights

This questionnaire has been designed to help you determine the reasons or “fondements” that could…

Hiring a lawyer in France

Lawyers play a key role throughout legal proceedings. It is important to choose one you can trust.…

For police intervention:

Scroll to top