Safety planning and protection orders

Your safety is always the number one priority. Unfortunately you are never safe with a controlling or violent partner, but there are solutions to protect yourself and your children. If you are in immediate danger, call the police on 17 or send them an SMS via 114.

In an emergency, call 17 for the police or 112 for emergency medical services. Their role is to provide assistance to everyone, regardless of their situation, even those without valid right of residence.

Ending a relationship can be extremely difficult. The moment of leaving can be the most dangerous, if a partner has previously had controlling, abusive, or possessive behaviour. It is recommended to be well-prepared.

For all sorts of reasons, you may not be able to leave your partner or the accommodation you share. There are strategies you can put in place to try and protect yourself and your children. But please remember that you are never safe with someone who has already demonstrated abusive or controlling behaviour.

If your partner or ex-partner starts being aggressive, attempt to reach safety as quickly as possible. If you cannot escape or call for help, there are strategies as a last resort that may help you calm their aggression.

During the relationship and after you break up, your partner or ex-partner may try to monitor your electronic devices and online accounts in order to gain more control over you. This can be very frightening, but there are solutions.

If you think that you and/or your children are at risk of further abuse, you can request protective measures from the French justice system. They could prevent the perpetrator of the abuse from approaching you, including by evicting them from the family home.

If you are threatened with forced civil, religious or traditional marriage, you can benefit from protective measures ordered by a French judge. If you flee a forced marriage from another country, you can apply for the international protection of France, also known as the right of asylum.


When he started hitting me in front of the children, I became really scared. Our eldest almost got hit trying to protect me. But I didn't want to call the police, I was too afraid that they would ask me for my papers. Finally, I contacted a victim support association. She told me about protection orders and legal aid, and helped me fill out my forms. A week later, my husband was evicted from our apartment, and he wasn’t allowed to come near me. Now that I have to pay the rent on my own, I am trying to find work with the help of the same association.

“Fatima” - Morocco - 52 years old

I thought we were just going through a period of marital difficulties. I associated victims with battered women. It took time for me to finally understand that I too was a victim of domestic violence. Despite this, I didn't have the courage to leave. I first looked a lot on the internet, and I learnt that the separation was a very risky moment. I prepared everything with the help of an association to ensure my safety and that of my children.

“Carolina” - Spain - 33 years old

The fights had been escalating for a while. If I did something that made him angry, he would yell at me, threaten me. Then he apologised. I thought it was normal to argue in a relationship. The day I decided to leave him, he exploded and became very violent. I managed to lock myself in a room and call the police. If they hadn't come, I don't know how far he would have gone. They then helped me to file a complaint, and to find temporary accommodation while I was getting organised.

“Nataly” - Madagascar - 19 years old

For police intervention:

Scroll to top