Requesting a document called a “duplicata” or duplicate in the event of theft or loss of your “titre de séjour” in France

If you have a valid immigration document called a “titre de séjour” and it has been stolen or lost while you are in France, you can request a document called a “duplicata” from the local administrative authority.

Verified by La Cimade on 31/01/2024

What is involved?

In the event of the loss or theft of your immigration document known as a “titre de séjour” or residence permit, you can request a document called a duplicate or “duplicata” from the local French administrative authority known as the “préfecture” or “sous-préfecture” of your department.

No one is authorised to steal your “titre de séjour”, not even your partner, whether you are married, in a PACS or a civil partnership.

How to proceed

You can complete this questionnaire to find out more about what to do.

Step 1: File a complaint with the French police

First of all, you must report the loss or theft to the police by visiting a police station near you, either a “commissariat de police” or a “brigade de gendarmerie”. They will provide you with a document called a declaration or “déclaration” confirming the loss or theft of your “titre de séjour”.

If you wish, you can also file a complaint at the police station to prosecute the person who stole or destroyed your papers, including if it was your partner or ex-partner, whether you are married, in a PACS or a civil partnership.

If you choose to file a complaint:

  • The police will investigate and interview the accused person, if they can.
  • The complaint may constitute proof of the administrative abuse that you have suffered if the theft or destruction was committed by your partner or ex-partner.

Step 2: Request a “duplicata” or duplicate from the “préfecture

You will then need to contact the local French administrative authority known as a “préfecture” or “sous-préfecture” of your place of residence to find out the procedure for requesting a “duplicata” or duplicate. In these directories you will find the contact details for “préfectures” and “sous-préfectures”.

Please note: the “préfecture” may re-examine whether or not you are still entitled to the residence permit or “titre de séjour” that you are applying for.

Find support

In France, there are many services that can support you, give you advice, and assist you with procedures and paperwork. Most of them are free of charge.

  • La Cimade” is an organisation that specialises in supporting all immigrant and migrant people, and refugees in France, particularly people facing violence.

    • This service is free of charge.
    • They will be able to inform you and support you in your administrative procedures related to the right of residence in France, and direct you to other services depending on your personal situation.
    • Languages available: French, English and Spanish.
    • Contact :
      • without an appointment at a centre near you
      • by telephone on 01 40 08 05 34 or 06 77 82 79 09 on Wednesdays from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and from 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • Associations” are organisations that offer various services. Some are specialised in immigration.

    • These services are free of charge.
    • They can inform you about your rights in France, and sometimes support you with immigration procedures.
    • Language available: mainly French.
    • Contact: you can search by region and department in this directory.

While the utmost care has gone into providing you with the most accurate and up to date information, this page is not intended to replace legal or professional advice. Laws and procedures change regularly so it is important to consult qualified professionals.

You may also be interested

Request a document called a “visa de retour” in the event of theft or loss of your “titre de séjour” abroad

If you are not in France at the moment and you lose or have your “titre de séjour” residence permit…

Reporting domestic abuse to the French justice system

Anyone who has experienced domestic abuse in France can file a complaint to report the abuse, even…

For police intervention:

Scroll to top