Residency rights for victims of human trafficking or the sex trade

A residence permit or “titre de séjour”, might be issued to individuals who cooperate with the justice system via a complaint or testimony regarding acts of human trafficking and/or the sex trade.

Verified by FNCIDFF on 06/10/2023


You have to meet two conditions:

  • You need to have cut ties with your pimp or the person who forced you into prostitution.
  • You must agree to cooperate with the justice system by filing a complaint or testifying in legal proceedings against them.

Applicable law: Articles L.425–1 and L.425–3 of the “CESEDA”.

Type of “titre de séjour” or residence permit issued

Note: after having made your application for a “titre de séjour” to the local French administrative authorities, known as the “préfecture”, you will have a cooling-off period of 30 days before deciding whether to file a complaint or provide a witness statement. When you submit your application, the “préfecture” will provide you with a receipt or “récépissé” for this period, authorising you to remain and work in France.

  • You will receive a temporary residence card or “carte de séjour temporaire” stating “vie privée et familiale”or private and family life. It is valid for one year. It allows you to work.

    It might be able to be renewed throughout the duration of the legal proceedings.

    During this period, you might be able to receive financial assistance known as an asylum seeker’s allowance or “allocation de demandeur d’asile” if you meet certain conditions.

  • You will be entitled to a “carte de résident” valid for ten years if the accused person is definitively convicted and if you usually live in France.

    If you do not meet this condition but have lived in France for at least five years, or in some cases three years, you might still receive a “carte de résident” if you meet certain conditions. Learn more

Algerian citizens

In principle, these provisions do not apply to Algerian citizens, because their immigration status in France is governed by a bilateral agreement.

However, the local French administrative authorities responsible for examining applications for a “titre de séjour” known as “préfecture” might still decide to allow you to benefit from it. It is therefore recommended that you make a request and highlight the fact that you meet the conditions detailed above.

Find support

In France, there are many services that can support you, give you advice, and assist you with procedures and paperwork. Most of them are free of charge.

  • La Cimade” is an organisation that specialises in supporting all immigrant and migrant people, and refugees in France, particularly people facing violence.

    • This service is free of charge.
    • They will be able to inform you and support you in your administrative procedures related to the right of residence in France, and direct you to other services depending on your personal situation.
    • Languages available: French, English and Spanish.
    • Contact :
      • without an appointment at a centre near you
      • by telephone on 01 40 08 05 34 or 06 77 82 79 09 on Wednesdays from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and from 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • Gisti” is an organisation specialising in legal advice to immigrants and refugees in France.

    • This service is free of charge.
    • They will be able to inform you about your rights relating to your residency rights and explain how to obtain them.
    • Language available: mainly French.
    • Contact:
      • By phone on +331 84 60 90 26 from Monday to Friday from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. and also from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Wednesday and Friday. The line is sometimes saturated, do not be discouraged. It is sometimes easier to reach them towards the end of the day.
      • By post to “Gisti, 3 villa Marcès 75011 Paris, France”. Print and complete this form and include in your letter with a photocopy of any administrative documents that could be relevant. Be sure to specify your question as clearly as possible, including all elements that could help the “Gisti” advisor to understand your situation.
  • Associations” are organisations that offer various services. Some are specialised in immigration.

    • These services are free of charge.
    • They can inform you about your rights in France, and sometimes support you with immigration procedures.
    • Language available: mainly French.
    • Contact: you can search by region and department in this directory.
  • Authorised associations or “associations habilitées” can offer highly specialised services to asylum seekers.

    • These services are free of charge.
    • They can inform you about your rights, advise you, support you in your administrative procedures and come with you to your meeting with the French Office for the Protection of Refugees and Stateless Persons or “Office français de la protection des réfugiés et des apatrides (OFPRA)”.
    • Language available: mainly French, interpretation possible.
    • Contact: you can find a “associations habilitées” near you in this directory.

While the utmost care has gone into providing you with the most accurate and up to date information, this page is not intended to replace legal or professional advice. Laws and procedures change regularly so it is important to consult qualified professionals.

You may also be interested

Verify my eligibility for French residency rights

This questionnaire has been designed to help you determine the reasons or “fondements” that could…

Hiring a lawyer in France

Lawyers play a key role throughout legal proceedings. It is important to choose one you can trust.…

For police intervention:

Scroll to top