Registering for “Aide médicale de l’Etat” to receive medical care without residency rights

The role of the “Aide médicale de l’État (AME)” or state medical assistance programme is to provide people who do not have residency rights with access to care.

Verified by Comede on 30/05/2022

What is involved?

With “Aide médicale de l’État (AME)”, 100% of the costs for your medical care, hospital stays and medication are covered within the limits of the social security rates. You do not have to pay the fees yourself.

Your family members living in France can also benefit from this.


If you are legally an adult, i.e. you are over 18, you can benefit from this medical assistance if you meet the following conditions:

  • you live in France (excluding Mayotte)
  • you can prove that you have been in France for at least three months
  • the resources of the people in your household do not exceed the fixed threshold
  • you do not have valid residency rights or a current application for a residence permit or “titre de séjour” in progress. The administration calls this being in a “situation irrégulière”.

If you are a minor, i.e. you are under 18 years of age, you can benefit from this arrangement if:

  • you live in France
  • your parents do not have valid residency rights.

The procedure

Fill in the application form and prepare a file with the documents requested:

  • a photocopy of your passport (please remember to photocopy all pages) or, failing that, your identity card
  • a colour identity photo
  • a document proving the stability of your residence in France, e.g. rent receipt, gas or electricity bills or an accommodation certificate
  • a document providing proof of your financial resources.

If you do not have a passport, it is recommended that you attach a sworn statement called an “attestation sur l’honneur” to your application indicating that you do not have a passport.

Submit your application in person at the reception of your “caisse d’assurance maladie”.

  • If you do not know what your “caisse d’assurance maladie” is, you can contact a “Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie (CPAM)” near you to find out more. Contact details can be found on this site.
  • If you do not speak French, it is recommended that you go with someone close to you who can translate.

After the application

  • Within two months, you will receive a letter with an appointment from your “caisse d’assurance maladie”.


    • During the appointment, you will receive your admission card for “Aide médicale d’Etat”. This card is valid for one year from the date you submitted your application.
    • This card can be renewed each year as long as you continue to meet the conditions. You need to apply to your “caisse d’assurance maladie" for renewal two months before the expiry date.
    • Take this card to all your medical appointments and to the pharmacy when you go to get medication. It will mean you won’t have to pay.
  • If you have not received a response to your application more than two months after submitting it, it is recommended that you contact your “caisse d’assurance maladie” for an update.

  • If your application has been denied, you can ask for this decision to be changed by following a procedure known as an appeal or “recours”. You have two months from receiving notification that your application has been denied to make an appeal or “recours”.

    Two forms of appeal or “recours” are possible:

    • an amicable resolution known as a “recours gracieux” with the director of your “caisse d’assurance maladie
    • a non-amicable resolution known as a “recours contentieux” before the administrative court or “tribunal administratif” of your place of residence. You can find their contact details on this site by entering your postcode and selecting “tribunal administratif”.

    It is highly recommended that you are accompanied by a lawyer or an organisation offering free services known as an “association” to assist you in these steps.

Find support

In France, there are many services that can support you, give you advice, and assist you with procedures and paperwork. Most of them are free of charge.

  • Comede” is an organisation that helps immigrants and refugees to have access to health care.

    • These services are free of charge.
    • They can assist you to access healthcare and help you with your paperwork, in particular via their telephone service.
    • Languages available: interpretation possible in all languages.
    • Contact: by phone.
  • The "PIMMS Médiation" are organisations that inform, guide or support in administrative procedures in many areas: access to public services, access to health care, applications for state financial assistance, tax declarations, declarations to “France Travail”, etc.

    • This service is free of charge.
    • Languages available: mainly French.
    • Contact: you can find a “PIMMS Médiation” near you in this directory.
  • Social workers or “travailleurs sociaux” and “assistants sociaux” are professionals who support people in their administrative procedures and help them find solutions according to the difficulties they are faced with.

    • These services are free of charge.
    • You can make an appointment to receive personalised advice according to your situation and help you with the next steps, for example: applications for state financial assistance, applications for social housing, registration with the French unemployment office “France Travail”, etc.
    • Available languages: mainly French.
    • Contact: you can request an appointment with a “travailleur social” with:

While the utmost care has gone into providing you with the most accurate and up to date information, this page is not intended to replace legal or professional advice. Laws and procedures change regularly so it is important to consult qualified professionals.

You may also be interested

Getting care: physical, sexual and mental health

Domestic abuse can have significant effects on your health. In France, you can receive health care…

Verify my eligibility for French residency rights

This questionnaire has been designed to help you determine the reasons or “fondements” that could…

Registering with the state health insurance system or “sécurité sociale

If you have stable employment or residence in France, you are entitled to cover for your health…

For police intervention:

Scroll to top