Residency rights for people leaving prostitution

A document granting the right to remain in France, known as a “titre de séjour”, or residence permit, might be issued to individuals who are leaving a situation involving prostitution and who are following a specific programme with an organisation specifically authorised to manage it, known as an “association agréée”.

Verified by FNCIDFF on 06/10/2023

Note: Women for Women France uses the word ‘prostitution’ rather than ‘sex work’ in the context of this page, to ensure the information we provide you aligns with the French administrative and legal language, and we sincerely apoligise for any harm caused by this. We respect you.


You have to meet these two conditions:

  • You have left prostitution.
  • You are enrolled in a programme known as the process of leaving prostitution and social and professional integration or “parcours de sortie de prostitution et d’insertion sociale et professionnelle”. This programme is managed by specially authorised organisations known as “associations agréées”.

Applicable law: Article L.425–4 of the “CESEDA”.

To find the “associations agréées” near you:

  • Search this directory by specifying your department and selecting “prostitution” from the drop-down menu in the type of violence feild labelled “Type de violence prise en charge”.
  • If the organisation you contact has not received special authorisation to manage this programme, they will be able to tell which “association agréée” you should get in touch with near you.

Type of “titre de séjour” or residence permit issued

The “association agréée” that supports you in this process will tell you which documents you need to apply for a residence permit “titre de séjour”.

  • You should be able to receive a temporary residence permit or “autorisation provisoire de séjour” valid for at least six months.

    If you receive this “titre de séjour”, you might also be eligible for financial assistance known as a social and professional integration allowance or “aide financière à l’insertion sociale et professionnelle” if you meet certain conditions. To find out more, ask the “association agréée” that is supporting you on your journey.

  • The “autorisation provisoire de séjour” can be renewed throughout the process, for up to a maximum total of 24 months.

Algerian citizens

In principle, these provisions do not apply to Algerian citizens, because their immigration status in France is governed by a bilateral agreement.

However, the local French administrative authority responsible for examining applications for a “titre de séjour”, known as the “préfecture”, might still decide to grant you one if you are following a programme to leave a situation involving prostitution. It is therefore recommended that you make a request and highlight the fact that you meet the conditions detailed above.

Find support

In France, there are many services that can support you, give you advice, and assist you with procedures and paperwork. Most of them are free of charge.

  • La Cimade” is an organisation that specialises in supporting all immigrant and migrant people, and refugees in France, particularly people facing violence.

    • This service is free of charge.
    • They will be able to inform you and support you in your administrative procedures related to the right of residence in France, and direct you to other services depending on your personal situation.
    • Languages available: French, English and Spanish.
    • Contact :
      • without an appointment at a centre near you
      • by telephone on 01 40 08 05 34 or 06 77 82 79 09 on Wednesdays from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and from 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • Gisti” is an organisation specialising in legal advice to immigrants and refugees in France.

    • This service is free of charge.
    • They will be able to inform you about your rights relating to your residency rights and explain how to obtain them.
    • Language available: mainly French.
    • Contact:
      • By phone on +331 84 60 90 26 from Monday to Friday from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. and also from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Wednesday and Friday. The line is sometimes saturated, do not be discouraged. It is sometimes easier to reach them towards the end of the day.
      • By post to “Gisti, 3 villa Marcès 75011 Paris, France”. Print and complete this form and include in your letter with a photocopy of any administrative documents that could be relevant. Be sure to specify your question as clearly as possible, including all elements that could help the “Gisti” advisor to understand your situation.
  • Associations” are organisations that offer various services. Some are specialised in immigration.

    • These services are free of charge.
    • They can inform you about your rights in France, and sometimes support you with immigration procedures.
    • Language available: mainly French.
    • Contact: you can search by region and department in this directory.
  • Authorised associations or “associations habilitées” can offer highly specialised services to asylum seekers.

    • These services are free of charge.
    • They can inform you about your rights, advise you, support you in your administrative procedures and come with you to your meeting with the French Office for the Protection of Refugees and Stateless Persons or “Office français de la protection des réfugiés et des apatrides (OFPRA)”.
    • Language available: mainly French, interpretation possible.
    • Contact: you can find a “associations habilitées” near you in this directory.

While the utmost care has gone into providing you with the most accurate and up to date information, this page is not intended to replace legal or professional advice. Laws and procedures change regularly so it is important to consult qualified professionals.

You may also be interested

Verify my eligibility for French residency rights

This questionnaire has been designed to help you determine the reasons or “fondements” that could…

Hiring a lawyer in France

Lawyers play a key role throughout legal proceedings. It is important to choose one you can trust.…

For police intervention:

Scroll to top